
Okay before I get into it I heard Rumblings about Quake being played inside a browser a few months back, At the time I thought whoa... I need to look into this more but I didn't. "Why" you ask? the answer is simple I have a really, REALLY bad memory :)
Quake!... in a BROWSER!!! created by id Software
lets get into the details, This game was ported from a variant Quake game, supposedly by three Google developers in their spare time... I dunno about you but I am hardly able to clean my car in my spare time let alone create a game that uses HTML5 "the future of the internet".
Here check out this video to see what a great job they did.
So?... pretty cool eh? That trailer is the unofficial one by Killat0n, its a little more dramatic than the one put out by id Software.
Overall the game is pretty amazing considering its browser based, However there are a few issues I would like to point out before you consider joining in on the fun.
The game itself is only compatible with Windows XP , Vista and will only operates inside Internet Explorer or Fire Fox browsers. no chrome :(
Then to play the game you are required to download a 3.8meg file that updates something in your browser structure that the game requires. I know, I know 3.8megs what am I moaning about well... After you run your 3.8meg file your browser will then be initiated into installing more files onto itself, I'm not sure of the size of these other files as its only shows the current percentage. It took me roughly 6 min to download the first browser initiated file and then after that download is complete another download starts...... There are so many requirements, updates and fiddling around for this game to run it starts to loose the "browser" in browser game, But lets just accept it and move on. The last download took me roughly 30 minutes so it sizable.
Once all of your downloads and updates have completed you are taken into a game tutorial so you can be matched with other players of your skill level, A girl in a quake suit shows you to the start of your tutorial then leaves and from there you have no idea what your meant to do, Your only guides are images on the wall your running along... So the tutorial needs some work IMO but still the concept is good. Once you have finished the tutorial or not finished as in my case you then have a 5 minute game with your bot tutor once that is done you are free to join other matches with real players of your skill level.
putting aside all of the requirements the game is good and very addictive, however the screen size you play in is very small, this is probably to reduce latency when you are playing other people so you have to accept it and after a while you get used to squinting. :P
I would recommend giving it ago, at home! lol not work or school due to the updates you are required to install on your system.
*update* TheSpindleSect has informed me that quake live also runs on Mac. Cheers for the heads up
Quake Live created by id Software
